MySQL is one of database systems. It is used for developing software applications. Developers use MySQL for both small and large applications whether it is Desktop based or Web based. MySQL is one of the relational database management system (RDBMS) and supports Standard SQL (Structured Query Language). It was developed by Michael Widenius and David Axmark in 1994 using C, C++. MySQL is fast reliable and flexible and easy to use Database System. MySQL is presently developed, distributed, and supported by Oracle Corporation and free to download and use.
Features of MySQL
- MySQL uses kernel threads therefore it is fully multithreaded. If there are multiple CPUs, it can use multiple CPUs.
- MySQL provides transactional and non-transactional storage engines.
- MySQL has a high-speed thread-based memory allocation system.
- MySQL supports in-memory heap table.
- MySQL Handles large databases.
- MySQL is client/server system.
- MySQL Works on different platforms.
Who Uses MySQL?
- Most famous websites like Facebook, Wikipedia, YouTube, Flickr. Google also uses MySQL but not for Search Engine
- Content Management Systems (CMS) like WordPress, Drupal, Joomla uses MySQL.
- A large number of web developers worldwide are using MySQL, to develop applications.